Dr. Ulhas S Gadgil
Areas of Clinical Interest
Developing cost effective Clinical Skills Laboratories and Surgical Simulators to spread the hands on laboratory based scientific learning concept for Surgeons at various levels to refine, upgrade and learn new skills in surgery.
- Chief of Research & Development Ethicon division of Johnson and Johnson Medical
- Program Director Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education Mumbai
- First Ph.D in India on Biological response to surgical sutures and wound healing to guide suture selection for various tissue approximation in surgeries.
- Established “Ethicon Institute of Surgical Education” Mumbai, New Delhi and Chennai.
- Developed LASER Institute at SAIMS Indore.
- Developed Skills Lab at J N Medical College, K.L.E. University, Belgaum
- Designed and developed surgical skills laboratory at BCPS, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Designed and developed CEMAST Mumbai
- Designed and developed first clinically closer economical model of ‘Beetle Videoscopic Endotrainer’ most popular in the surgical community in India. Design patent pending.
- Designed and developed range of surgical simulators especially skin pad, abdominal wall, bowel and pulsatile pump for training (CABG on beating heart).
- Issued two US Patents on Gasless Laparoscopic Surgery Devices.
- ‘Minimal Access Surgery Training and Simulation’ IAGES Newsletter July 2006
- ‘Role of Simulators in Surgical Education’ ALTEX Alternativen zu Tierexperimenten (2007 Volume 24, Issue 3, Pages 172-173)